Monday, April 28, 2014

Is there anything for dessert?

I get asked that question often. I love to bake and love to oblige anytime I can. So, I am sharing a quickie dessert, that my family loves. It makes enough for one night, and a piece or two to pack in lunches.

A few weeks ago I had a gorgeous basket of strawberries, that were huge and more than we could eat before they went bad. 

After several snacks, shortcakes and on cereal, it was time to save those lovelies! I put the rest of the ( cleaned and hulled) strawberries in little tubs of 6-8 each and froze them. I am using the last one of this batch.


Today I made a Strawberry Jiffy Mix Cake!

Here is what you need:

  • 1 white or yellow Jiffy Brand cake mix ( about 53 cents in our markets)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of water less 3 tablespoons
  • Diced strawberries, since my strawberries were frozen, I backed off the water to allow for the strawberries to thaw into the batter while baking.
  • Powdered sugar ( optional)


Follow the instructions on the box in regards to oven temp, greasing and flouring a pan etc.
I made the mix into batter per the instructions, but less the water mentioned above, then I hand folded the strawberries in and stirred until just mixed ( don't over stir you want some pieces of strawberry through out the cake ).

Once the cake is done, leave just as in the cake pan and generously dust with powdered sugar. Icing the cake is an option, but we feel it takes over the strawberry flavor and then is too sweet.

This dessert is less than a dollar, as we already accounted for the Strawberries and eggs are a item you should already have on hand. Powered sugar was accounted for as a pantry item too.