This kind of soup is available at many restaurants . This vintage recipe is fine, but over the years I changed it around to suit our tastes, and we like my latest version the best so far. Here are both versions. The first is the 1970's version, the second one, is my version.
Canadian Cheese Soup
A Vintage Recipe
¼ cup of margarine
2 tablespoons minced
½ cup sliced carrots –
¾ cup finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
¼ cup flour
3 cups milk divided
2 cups (½ pound)
shredded processed American cheese
Melt margarine in a
heavy saucepan; add onion and cook and stir until yellow.
Add carrot, celery and
chicken stock. Cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender about 15
Combine flour with 1
cup milk and add to vegetable mixture, stirring constantly until smooth and
thickened. Add cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
Gradually add remaining
milk, stirring briskly. Heat only to serving temperature. Serve in warm soup
bowls. Yield: 5- 6 servings.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
CANADIAN CHEESE SOUP ~ RE-DUX
Retro Recipe remake of Cheese Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour, Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 4-5 large servings
½ SMALL ONION FINELY CHOPPED
2-3 LARGE CARROTS FINELY DICED
1 CUP CHICKEN BROTH - DIVIDED
8 OZ AMERICAN CHEESE (BLOCK), CUT INTO 1 INCH CUBES
2 CANS CHEESE SOUP ( BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP IS A GOOD OPTION)
1 ½ CUPS MILK
1 TABLESPOON GRANULATED GARLIC
2 TABLESPOONS POULTRY GRAVY MIX
1 TABLESPOON OF SOFTENED BUTTER
· IN A DUTCH OVEN, ON A MEDIUM HEAT, PLACE BUTTER TO MELT, ADD CARROTS AND STIR UNTIL STARTING TO SOFTEN, ADD ONIONS AND OCCASIONALLY STIR UNTIL BOTH THE CARROTS AND THE ONION ARE SOFT, ADD IN THE GARLIC.
· STIR IN ½ CUP OF THE BROTH AND COOK UNTIL HEATED.
· ADD IN THE 2 CANS OF CHEESE SOUP, BLEND.
· POUR IN 1 CUP OF THE MILK AND BLEND.
· REDUCE HEAT SLIGHTLY AND ADD IN THE CUBED CHEESE, SLOWLY STIRRING UNTIL ALL OF THE CHEESE HAS MELTED
· ADD THE REMAINING MILK , AND THE POULTRY GRAVY MIX
· MONITOR AND STIR, IF THE SOUP THICKENS TOO MUCH FOR YOUR TASTE ADD MORE MILK OR BROTH.
· REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER ABOUT 30 MINUTES. IF DINNER IS NOT IMMEDIATE TURN OFF HEAT AND REHEAT WHEN READY, IT CAN SCORCH IF NOT WATCHED.
SERVE WITH HOT FRESH YEAST BREAD, OR BUTTERY CRACKERS
Thanks for reading!!